Vaginal Odor: What do I do?

I’ve been married 24 years. We have lived through infertility and the taking care of our parents. Our adopted son is almost grown. Finally we have time and some freedom. I have read with fascination the lavish praise husband’s

have for their wife’s vagina. I have spent months trying to interest him. He says he has no desire and that it is not me, but him. We were making small strides in intimacy but he has never been one to rub my feet or linger between my legs. He tried oral once on me and never again. He said it wasn’t his thing. Finally after I asked him he said that I have a vaginal odor and have always had it.

Needless to say I am headed to gyn this week. Part of me is glad he said something because if it is true, surely it can be fixed. The other part is extremely embarrassed and hurt. How can I ever confidently let him near me again without it being in the back of my mind that he think my vaginal odor stinks?  Right now I’m mortified to even be in the same room and I don’t want to ever have sex again.

Maybe it is menopausal hormones. I have always been self conscious about my body and especially odor. I shower, change underwear, wash my clothes, wear perfume, and trim the area. Surely I am not the only one to deal with.  What would you do?

1. Natasha says:

Hello, I’m sorry to hear that you are going through this situation. You are right, you are not the only person to deal with odor down there. Us women have to wash that area more frequently per day than men. However, after reading your story, I’m a bit confused by what you wrote. Your husband admitted to an odor, and your response is going to the gym? Forgive me for not understanding, but do you think the odor is coming from not being in shape? Also, since your husband said that you have always had the odor, then it is most likely not coming from menopausal hormones. My advice would be to wash that area more frequently throughout the day and there are also things like Vagisil wash, sprays and powders, that I find helpful. Also, it is helpful to not sleep in panties. That area needs to breathe and not be covered 24/7. Lastly, if all else fails, see your physician. I can definitely understand how this can make it embarrassing to be intimate with your husband again, but try letting him know that you are trying some new cleaning methods. Maybe once he sees that you are making an effort towards what he considers to be a problem, he won’t be so detached intimately.

2. smitten says:

Mrs.Smitten to Dwhit2:
    Sorry to hear about your struggles. We all have various struggles with sex, despite the extravagant stories on this site. It’s just that we do not want to ruin a romantic erotic story with the problem that you mention.
    A healthy vagina is supposed to smell. It is the way of things. It is described as mild underarm b.o. mixed with a slight fishy odor. Most men are stimulated by breathing in this combination of odors. It taste musky-sweet and drives my husband nuts.
    Some men don’t like it just like some women don’t like their husband’s semen in their mouth. There is some psychological element to it: Knowing that you are tasting and consuming your spouse.
    A healthy vagina has a specific intestinal bacteria that flourishes there and kills off yeast and bad bacteria. Estrogen, vaginal ph, these good bacteria,and the proper amount of mucous makes for a normal vaginal odor.
    When I was 35 I had both ovaries and my uterus taken out. Suddenly I had vaginal dryness and bacterial and yeast infections that gave off a bad odor and made me feel unattractive. My pussy was not an inviting place for my husband, orally or intercourse. Estrogen vaginal inserts, good hydration, loose fitting clothes, and a bacterial pill that is over the counter and made just for replenishing the good vaginal bacteria has worked.
    For fear of making matters worse my husband only eats me out once in a while when our lusts are overwhelming.
    Hope this helps.

3. She Writes says:

My heart really goes out to you Dwhit2. Several years back, my husband made a negative comment about odor. I too felt mortified being near him and it affected my desire to have sex with him. I told him how embarrassed I was as personal hygiene is not something I’m careless about. It was 4 months before I could think about him trying oral on me again. Honestly, every time he does that now, a fear still creeps into my mind and interferes with how much I enjoy it and whether or not I can climax from it. Husbands, if you’re going to approach this topic with your wives, do so very carefully.

The way you describe it, there may be nothing wrong with your scent. And I’d sidestep any plans to over wash or add scent. Those things can be irritating. You practice good hygiene and that is all you need to do. Let me ask you, do you like the way you smell? If you do, that’s enough. Your husband may just not prefer oral sex, and that’s ok. There are lots of other ways to experience pleasure together. Try not to compare how your spouse reacts with the stories on MH. These are stories. Some are fictional. Some are partly fictional. Some or all are exaggerated to a degree. My husband is not panting at the entrance of my vagina. And that’s ok. I love the way my vagina looks, tastes and smells. I think I offer many skills in the bedroom and most importantly I am an enthusiastic lover. I am sexy to me. That is more than enough.

4. Blondie says:

She Writes, that was a great way of putting it!

Dwhit2, I write my stories on here and my husband doesn’t go down on me much, not a big thing for us, but we always have super hot sex. Cunnilingus isn’t the end all, be all. Try some KY body flavoring if you want to have your husband go down on you as he is not big on the taste or smell of vagina. It works great, we’ve done it ourselves when we wanted to do a position 69! I had chocolate flavoring on his cock and strawberry flavoring on my pussy, mmmm 😉

I also agree with smitten on here who said just like some women don’t like the taste of semen, some men don’t like the taste of ladycum. It doesn’t sound like there is anything wrong with you. And as She Writes said, there are many other wonderful ways of finding pleasure with each other. God bless you and I hope you can reconnect and not feel self-conscious anymore.

5. Wanted Always says:

husband here. I love to do oral on my wife when she is completely shaved bare and has just had a shower. It makes me want to eat her alive. She had a bad habit of wearing panties 24/7/b 4 we married and afterward we read a book that said hygiene and no panties (ladies even with no hair it MUST breath and guys no undershorts (guys keep em loose for bed so your swimmers are in top shape to go, also R..E.M. erections are much easier to have and that’s good for you dick keeps the blood flow healthy and remember blood is what makes it BIG) so for lovers going to bed that’s all that is needed unless there is infection. We let me say oral sex is now on the top of her list for giving to me and for her it’s in the true heat of passion after a clipping (which I get to do) and a bath we usually do together. I love eating, licking and sucking a smooth naked snatch and clit.

6. Anonymous says:

Thank you each for your comments. Doctor said estrogen was low and she ordered me a cream to apply topically. Best was reassurance that she said that this was very common reason for women to run in the door of her office.

I appreciate the encouragement.

7. SinceSophomore says:

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. I know diet can effect our smell there. ask your Gyn about or look for a Holistic Gyn (Do those exist) to help you out. I would caution about use of most drug-store feminine hygiene as products as they can be highly irritating and cause infections which make the problem worse. I have used Sweet Spot labs Products in the past and love them. Here is a link to their Sweet Spot Vulva Wash. I trust their products.

8. O-man says:

Check with the doctors to see that you have no infections. Then love Water. Whatever you use to wash, rinse with lots of water. Whatever you ingest, drink lots of water frequently everyday. Water, water, water.

9. lynda and dave says:

There is meant to be a certain odour down there and its meant to be a big turn on for most men,I know it is for me.
    Also I feel that if there is an issue ,hubby should be very sensitive and tactful on how he brings the subject up,as the last thing he wants to do is hurt his partner.

10. O-man says:

Many couples make this mistake of not addressing issues as soon as they show up. The longer you hide the truth from your spouse about something that has to do with them, the more it will hurt when that truth eventually comes out.

Speak up at the right time. I think he should have done so too.