I can tell that people on this site have a very high regard for our God-given sexuality and have a lot of wisdom on how to handle sexual temptations in a way that is pleasing to God. I also see that you have a deep concern for the sexuality of the rising generation. So I have some questions I wanted to throw out to all of you to get your feedback.
The topic is kids and pornography. And here’s why I want to talk about it. Most 7-11-year-olds that I know have regular access to an iPod or smart phone. And most 7-11-year-old boys that I know are also quite keen on playing video games and watching youtube videos on the devices. The problem is that it is impossible to set up parental controls on a cell phone and youtube to protect your kids from “adult content”. And sure, youtube doesn’t have explicit pornography, but everyone knows you can find some pretty shady stuff on there without trying too hard.
- So what do you do if your young son accidentally runs across a dirty video after he is done watching something perfectly harmless on youtube one day?
- What do you do if your kid hears about something on the school bus and comes home and googles it on your phone, thus avoiding the parental controls you’ve set up on your home server?
- What if your kid accidentally clicks a link that pops up when he’s playing an iPod game?
- What if he runs across it and tells you about it?
- What if he runs across it and doesn’t tell you about it?
- Is there a talk you can have with your kid before he runs across it that might help him respond to it in an appropriate fashion?
- Is there a talk you could have with him after he runs across it that would help him make the decision to not return to watch more of such videos?
- And what if your kid is only 7 or 8? It seems a little young to have a sex talk, but how can you give him enough information to protect him without giving him more information than he is old enough to hear?
- What if your son finds the videos and watches them and continues to watch them for some time before you find about it? How do you help him heal from what he has seen?
- What would be your biggest concerns for a child who has been exposed to such images at such a young age?
This topic has recently hit very close to home for me, and I would value your thoughtful input on the subject.