One of the interesting trends we see with social media is the emergence of “legacy” preferences. With these preferences, you can decide what is to happen—and specifically who is to gain access—to your social media accounts once you pass away. It’s the same with any videos and photos stored on your mobile phone.
With all of that said, my wife and I have been talking lately about how to best handle the literally 17 years (and counting) of homemade sex tapes we have on hand, most of which are stored on flash drives but a few from the early days are on camcorder tapes. I have counted up the files, and over the 17 years we have shot 245 videos, all totaling some 7,300 minutes (or 121 hours!) of truly XXX content featuring us. About a half-dozen of the videos are of us when Lauren was pregnant with our son, including one when she was 7 or 8 months’ pregnant. The videos shot with our 4K camera, which we purchased a few years ago, are particularly revealing and leave nothing to the imagination. There is virtually no sex act between us that has not been recorded, nor are there many fantasies a couple could act out that are not recorded. 98% of the videos feature us together, with the remaining 2% featuring Lauren alone with me videoing her.
The bottom line is that these tapes are as graphic as they could be, and there are a few in the mix, as previously written about here on MH, that were professionally shot by a video crew.
We have a son, and our last will and testament has it that everything goes to him when we pass away. Our discussion has been around how these videos should be handled in our will. Our estate planning lawyer is aware of their existence, and she said this has to be a decision we make—not her. She did suggest we consider storing the videos on a secure cloud-based site and then once we pass away they would be destroyed by order of our will. But the risk there is that the videos would be in the cloud—lots of risk, when you consider the threat of hacks.
Of the 245 videos, we have categorized 23 that are insanely graphic and and that we will eventually destroy. As for the other 222 videos, we don’t know what to do with them. Should we eventually destroy them? We hate the thought of destroying them! Should we leave them to our son—they would at least show him how in love his parents were? But the thought of him seeing them makes us uneasy, for obvious reasons.
By the way, we continue to add to the collection! So by the time the decision really needs to be made, we may have 500 or more!
We are both very healthy and happy and fully planning to live until 100! But we take estate planning seriously and want to make sure that’s all organized.
I am curious if any other couples on here have had similar discussions about their sex tapes?
We are sorry that this post was not one of your favorites!
Help us understand why.